“From the age of 3, it is recommended to introduce the concept of number, and you can well imagine that the method we are going to approach is natural, simple and effective.”
Did you know, the abacus is one of the oldest tools for calculating the history of mankind. The abacuses make it possible to calculate the 4 basic operations: additions, subtractions
The abacus, composed of colored varnished wooden beads, which are movable on 10 lacquered metal arches with a visual support for the calculations. On the central plate are written 55 addition exercises on one side and 55 subtraction exercises on the other.
The benefits of using an abacus:
– The Touch : your child likes to learn by manipulating, guaranteeing to assimilate the learning, to improve his motivation to accomplish and to finish his exercise.
– Visualization : When the child puts the ball on one side of the arch, they see concretely the isolated ball. If they add one or two more, they visually understands the notion of addition.
– Connectivity : touch, sight and hearing increases your child’s alertness
– Concentration and Attention : your child is fully engaged, driving their actions, the concentration of the connective environment helps him to succeed in the exercise.
– Perform classic mathematical operations such as addition, multiplication, addition, and subtraction.
– Switch to several digits. Count of 2 in 2, 5 in 5 …
– Understand the system of tens and units. 1 dozen is represented by a whole line of 10 balls and 1 unit is represented by a single ball.
Montessori is based on the principal that parents show and then let the child do. It is better to repeat the exercise dozens of times until you really understand the meaning, rather than skip a step that could hamper your understanding of what’s next.